1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  – What happens if I am injured by an uninsured driver?

What happens if I am injured by an uninsured driver?

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2020 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

California does not require uninsured motorist coverage. So, what happens when an uninsured motorist causes serious injuries in a car accident and you are not carrying uninsured motorist coverage? Normally, you would file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, or your own, for damages. But in this case, you will have to consider taking legal action if you want to claim compensation for your injuries and losses.

In order to receive compensation from the other party for losses, you and your lawyer will have to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident and negligent as a driver. The driver’s negligence must directly connect to the cause of the accident and your case must also prove that your substantial losses were a result of the negligence.

Tips for your next steps

While a lawsuit may not be the first thing on your mind following an accident, there are a few things you should do as soon as possible. For one, make sure you see a physician regarding your car accident injury so you can obtain an accurate and recent assessment. Your attorney may have a recommendation for a good physician if you do not regularly see one.

You will also want to organize all related documents, medical records, any evidence from the crash and contact information for any witnesses into one place so it is easy to access for you and your attorney. For more information on how to obtain compensation for your losses in a car accident, consider speaking with a legal professional or otherwise qualified expert.