As you travel along California roads, it might seem somewhat unnerving to think about how at least a portion of your safety may rest in the hands of others around you. While most drivers may share your desire for a safe and uneventful journey, expecting as such from everyone could be too much to ask at times.
There are various types of dangerous driving behaviors you may encounter during your travels, each of which could pose a significant threat to your safety. However, few types of behavior could prove as hazardous as the presence of impairment, as such negligence can have a devastating impact on driving performance.
Effects of impairment
The influence of alcohol or drugs affects your body in numerous ways, and these effects only intensify as your blood alcohol content increases. Some of the ways impairment affects driving capabilities could include the following:
- Ability to react: The ability to react to scenarios in a timely manner is an essential component of safe driving, and impairment only acts to decrease driver reaction times.
- Motor skills: Impairment can also take a significant toll on motor skills, and anything that acts to disrupt coordination while driving is inherently dangerous.
- Decision-making: Studies also indicate that those who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs may also struggle to make certain judgment calls, which is also a vital part of operating a motor vehicle.
- Tracking and vision: Drunk drivers may also experience issues with blurry vision or struggle to track nearby objects, both of which can prove exceedingly dangerous.
- Distraction: Impairment can also increase the risks of driver distraction, and mixing two of the most common causes of collisions together could prove a recipe for disaster.
Even if you choose to avoid getting behind the wheel of a vehicle while impaired, should you encounter someone who does not make such sound decisions, you may be the one left suffering the repercussions.
After a crash
A collision with an impaired driver runs the unfortunate risk of leaving you with serious or permanent injuries and facing a variety of hardships in life. If the incident stems from the negligent actions of another party, the fallout could prove difficult to accept. While there may be little you can do to change what took place, seeking insight on your available options and the next steps to take to seek restitution could help place you in a better position to approach the recovery period with piece of mind.